Monday, November 3, 2008

Gold

I loved coming home this weekend to a stormy, blustery Sunday. The wind was howling and making the gold leaves dance through the sky. I felt rich as I watched the gold treasure swirl in the wind. The whole street was littered with burning red leaves, leading my way home. I love the colors of fall, they feed me through the darkness of winter.

I ache in the fall, as though a part of me is dying alongside everything else. I find myself looking at the forlorn and lonely branches that will be left to fend for themselves through a cold winter. Occasionally I feel like those naked trees and I want to hibernate until I am sprouting new buds. Curl up by a roaring fire, snuggled in a blanket and never leave the house. I want family and loved ones around me. No more...change.

I yearn for change, while I am homesick for what I know. I love the brilliance of fall, the shower of colors. The chance to unveil what has been hiding underneath; fiery red, orange and gold. It takes nine months of the year to coax the leaves to risk their true colors; but just a quick as they change color, they fall to the ground. Only to be die and be raked, bagged and thrown away.

It is the fall that I love and what it brings that I fear. Grey, dark, winter.

2 comments:

nanny said...

CAit- I missed you when you were in Chicago! I loved driving up to our home ablaze with autumn, also. WE are leaves from the same tree. FAllen.
Love, marmie

jennie said...

I missed you caitie! I am so glad you had a great time and are home. Things are just better when your around. love you